Blue Dog Art & Design

Friday, March 03, 2006

What's Your Politik?



Last night I went to see Coldplay and Fiona Apple in concert. I was somewhat disappointed in the performance by Fiona Apple, who I was really looking forward to seeing. I think she is a great artist, but maybe she was off her game last night because she just didn't sound that great. She may have a had a throat thing going on as she kept clearing her throat and she sounded hoarse. I was really expecting her to be great live, but not so last night.

Moving along, Coldplay put on an excellent show. For the first time I could see how the band could be compared to U2. Chris Martin actually sounded a lot like Bono in his singing, which I had not really picked up from the CDs. They put on a great high energy show. To me a good artist exudes the music and makes you just feel it coming out of them with a sense of passion. I get this from Chris Martin. I was not really sold on Coldplay when they first hit the U.S. It took me until the release of "Clocks" to really begin to like them. I became sold on them when the played the Grammy's and I saw Martin banging out "Politik" on the piano. You could see the music and passion coming out of him in that performance.

Our seats were low in the arena, but pretty far back from the stage and I need new contacts so I couldn't see that well. Every now and then they projected on a screen behind them. This was the kind of show that it was OK that you couldn't see that well because they just rocked the house. They did a really great acoustic set and at one point Martin ran from the stage down the aisle all the way to the back so those of us far from the stage could see him. Towards the end of the show people on the floor raised signs wishing Martin a Happy Birthday as he turned 29 yesterday. They did one encore and ended with "Fix You". It was a great show and I would definitely see them again.

I think I am finally getting an iPod this weekend. I might sneak off to Best Buy at lunch and get it then. Any recommended accessories or quirks I should know about to get started?

Have a good weekend everyone!

8 Comments:

  • My favorite iPod accessory was the attachment that allowed me to play it in the car. Depending on your stereo, you can either just get a plug or you can get an antenna thingy (that looks Nothing like an antenna but that's what it is called.) Don't you love my grasp of technical terms?

    By Blogger BostonPobble, at March 03, 2006 12:28 PM  

  • I much prefer the tape adapter, if your car has a tape player. If not, get the Monster Cable FM Transmitter. I had the Belkin one and it was terrible and completely unreliable. My friends that have the Monster one swear by it. It even charges the iPod at the same time, so it's a win-win!

    Just be prepared to go into withdrawal the first time you leave the house without your iPod. I grab it before I grab my phone these days, sad as that sounds.

    By Blogger Maki, at March 03, 2006 6:37 PM  

  • Mr. Jaded has the tape adaptor thingy for the car, and some wire thingies that allow it to play through the stereo. It appears I'm equally as technical as the Pobble today. Sorry!

    By Blogger Jaded, at March 03, 2006 7:38 PM  

  • Sounds like a wonderful time. Yay!

    By Blogger m.a., at March 04, 2006 8:03 AM  

  • Pobble-I completely understood "antenna thingy". I'm technical like that too.

    Maki-I'm honored. Thanks for the heads up on the Monster cable. I do not have a tape player, but have an AV jack in the back that runs in conjunction with the DVD system, which I think I can use. Supposedly, I can also run a Playstation through the system too and NO, I do not drive a minivan.

    Jaded-I have the wire thingys etc. for the XM Radio. Will be interesting to see how it all fits. All this technology can be overwhelming.

    MA-It was definitely a fun time! I really miss not getting out to live shows as often as I used to before the kids came along. I saw a few parents with teenagers and wondered to myself what my sons' first shows will be. I'm hoping to be a cool rock n' roll kind of mom. My mom would never have taken me to a concert. My first live show was Pat Benatar! LOL

    By Blogger Blue Dog Art, at March 06, 2006 3:18 PM  

  • I was not a big Coldplay fan until this past summer when I saw them live. There's something infectious about those rock arena songs that they do that makes you want to buy their CD's and listen to them over and over again. Chris Martin, I would have to say, displays a lot of energy during their shows. A lot of dancing. A lot of piano humping. A lot of hyperactive movements. All entertaining.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at March 07, 2006 1:44 AM  

  • Congratulations on getting out to see a big show. And on the iPod. I love mine and it's amazing to me that more car makers aren't putting in direct line adapters for their car stereos. A friend of mine had a mid-90's jetta that had one. Talk about simplification.

    By Blogger cs, at March 07, 2006 1:14 PM  

  • I finally broke down and bought myself the iPod Nano at Christmas time. I would also recommend something to adapt it for your car, first and foremost.

    By Blogger Washington Cube, at March 08, 2006 11:33 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home