Blue Dog Art & Design

Wednesday, August 23, 2006

Technically I'm Holding Down Two Jobs

Things have been quite busy with me. I received an official offer from my friend to work for him starting in mid-September, which I formally accepted today.

We have been going back and forth the last few weeks talking and working out the details of what the best arrangement for both of us will be. I'm really excited about the new position. I will gain more variety in my work in a more challenging atmosphere. Where I work now they tend to be happy with whatever design I throw together. This has pluses and minuses and lately I've been bored and in a rut. My friend is a software sponge and I will learn SO much from him. The job also gets me working with other creative people again. In my current position, I've been a one woman graphics department. Not only will I have my friend to bounce ideas around with, but also the other designers that work where he sublets his space. Oh, did I mention that the new job is literally one block from the old job? No change in the commute and I'm still in Old Town Alexandria, which is really my favorite place in the Metro DC area.

The hard part is going to be puting in my notice tomorrow. My boss returns from a conference tomorrow and I didn't really want to hit him with this his first day back, the exec. director will be out Friday and I don't want to have to think about it all weekend. The office has been through so much this year, some I've talked about here, some I haven't. At any rate, I'm pretty sure that I'm going to be blindsiding them. The office has been very good to me over the nearly ten years I've been employed there and I really like most of my coworkers, so it is hard to walk away from something so comfortable. I know that I do need the change. The timing is just right for me. I didn't go looking for a new job, the new job came looking for me, which is a nice feeling.

I'm scared of what my boss' reaction is going to be. Hopefully he won't freak out too much. Then in a few short weeks I'll also have the extra added bonus of being rid of the remainder of the brain trust. (She was chewing gum again today and popping and cracking it. I had to break out the noise cancelling headphones and jam out to Prince.) Yeah, I know old school, but a girl needs a little funkiness now and then and Prince is good for that.

So, wish me luck Thursday morning. I'll try to let you know how it goes sometime tomorrow.

8 Comments:

  • I hope you were listening to "Let's Go Crazy." Good luck in the new job.

    By Blogger Washington Cube, at August 23, 2006 11:27 PM  

  • Good luck tomorrow! And a big "hells yes!" to rocking out to Prince. :)

    By Blogger mysterygirl!, at August 23, 2006 11:40 PM  

  • Cube: Hell ya! Throw in "Little Red Corvette" and "When Doves Cry" too!

    MG!: Thanks, I've got the letter typed and I'm waiting for the bosses to show up and get their coffee. Ugh...I hate this...

    By Blogger Blue Dog Art, at August 24, 2006 8:38 AM  

  • You're not doing anything to be nervous about. You're doing what's best for you and your family. Period. While you've been at this job for a long time, you've been a good employee and have done the job for which you were paid. Now, it's time to move on. It's not a personal attack on the company or your bosses. You're just putting yourself and your family first, which is exactly the right thing to do!

    Good luck!

    By Blogger Jaded, at August 24, 2006 10:20 AM  

  • I am so proud of you! I know that you will have a wonderful time at your new job. Hooray

    By Blogger m.a., at August 24, 2006 11:02 AM  

  • That is fantastic news!

    Tell the remainder of the Brain Trust to eat your dust.

    By Blogger playfulinnc, at August 24, 2006 11:54 AM  

  • Good luck. If you feel it's the right move, it probably is.

    By Blogger cs, at August 24, 2006 2:38 PM  

  • This comment has been removed by the author.

    By Blogger sports fan, at January 24, 2011 11:54 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home