Blue Dog Art & Design

Thursday, March 09, 2006

Per Maki’s Request: A Tag


Ten years ago, March 1996:
I was living in Gaithersburg, Maryland working in Bethesda, Maryland at a job that I hated. I had worked as a graphic designer as well as production manager, but had been promoted to being the Training and Development manager. I developed tests to assess the graphics software knowledge of designers applying for temp jobs. I had a wicked commute down I-270 and spent WAY too much time in traffic. (Sadly, that commute is even worse now than it was ten years ago.) I was 28, miserably single, and pretty much hating life.

Five years ago, March 2001:
(Wow. A lot can happen in the span of five years. Between 1996 and 2001 I changed jobs, moved twice, and met and married my husband.) OK, at this time five years ago, I was married, living in Alexandria, VA, and was seven months pregnant with our first son, which means I was tired and working (different job) like a crazy woman to make sure my work was covered while I took 3 months of maternity leave.

One year ago, March 2005:
Same job, which I still mostly like. Working on tiling the shower in a rather intricate mosaic that I had the bright idea to create in our remodeled master bathroom. I have had people ask me if I would come to their house and tile for them the same way. No effing way is my standard reply. It took us three months to tile the shower. There’s no tub, just the shower and it took freakin’ forEVER. I wouldn’t even do it again for myself.

Yesterday, March 8, 2006:
I worked. Went home and made dinner, started laundry. Got the kids bathed and put the youngest in bed. The oldest helped me fold laundry from two days ago while we watched American Idol. Put him in bed, switched the laundry over to the dryer and started another load. Sat at the computer and ripped more CDs while pricing out a bracelet for Jaded. Downloaded U2’s “Beautiful Day” video from iTunes. Husband came home. I finished ripping CDs for the evening, put the load of laundry in the dryer and went to bed. Exciting day. (I cracked 3 gigs on the iPod last night, yet I am still stressed that I will fill all 30 gigs of it.)

Tomorrow, March 10, 2006:
Hmm…Friday. I’ll come to work (if I don’t have to take my youngest to the doctor—he’s got a wicked cough that PediaCare does not seem to be helping). One of my co-workers that I actually like returns to the office after having been in London all week so we’ll probably go here for lunch and have margarita’s. (That’s right kids--I can drink at lunch.) Go home and make dinner or convince husband that we should eat out. Get the boys in the bathtub and into their beds and maybe watch a movie.

Yes, it is an exciting life I lead these days. I wouldn’t trade it for anything.

People I will tag although you are under no obligation:

Fictional Rockstar
Mass
Jaded
Pobble
Washington Cube

(Graphic borrowed from Interstate Label Company.)

6 Comments:

  • I love this! I've learned so much about you.

    By Blogger m.a., at March 10, 2006 1:39 PM  

  • I promise I will do this next week. This week has been busy, and the weekend will be even busier. Ugh!

    By Blogger Jaded, at March 10, 2006 6:56 PM  

  • If I were feeling better, I might be up to this task, but doubtful. I can tell you it includes working on my graduate dissertation (fried), having my career I had had since being in college(which blossomed into full time work on the Hill) come to an end, the illness and death of my mother and the worst breakup of my life where I wandered around in a daze crying all of the time. Tag me again when it's not such...debilitating periods of my life and I'll probably participate. :)

    By Blogger Washington Cube, at March 10, 2006 7:53 PM  

  • Thanks for answering. Is it sad that I am most jealous of the margaritas at lunch thing?

    It also makes me sad to think that I have a 60 gig iPod and I have to uncheck songs in my iTunes so they don't automatically get loaded on because there's no more room. Further proof that I am insane.

    By Blogger Maki, at March 11, 2006 1:49 PM  

  • MA-Glad to oblige.

    Jaded-I look forward to reading your answers.

    Cube-Goodnes gracious you've had a lot to deal with lately. I'm so sorry you are having such a rough time. I do hope things are looking up for you very soon.

    Maki-I had a frozen swirlie at lunch on Friday. It was awesome. Come to DC sometime and I will buy you one. You have an excellent and quite hip taste in music. I would expect nothing less from you. BTW: I totally enjoyed your tag week. I learned a lot about you and you seem like a good guy.

    By Blogger Blue Dog Art, at March 12, 2006 8:50 PM  

  • This is a WICKED COOL tag! As with Jaded, I will get to it. It's too cool not to!

    By Blogger BostonPobble, at March 17, 2006 9:50 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home