Blue Dog Art & Design

Monday, May 01, 2006

What I did Friday



I took Friday off to volunteer for the 2006 Avon Walk for Breast Cancer here in DC.

In 2000 I participated as a walker in what was then known as the Avon Breast Cancer 3-Day. Back then, I had been hearing the radio ads for the walk and was thinking about doing the walk. Then I found out that one of my childhood friends had just been diagnosed with breast cancer at the age of 32. I signed up to do the walk immediately. I trained for three months. My biggest fear in doing the walk was the fund-raising that was required to participate. I had to raise $1800 in order to walk. I figured that the walking would be the easy part. I was wrong. My fund-raising totalled $32 just shy of $5000. I joined 3000 other walkers in Frederick, Maryland and over the course of a 3-day weekend walked 60 miles from Frederick to the Mall in downtown Washington, DC. It was one of the most amazing experiences of my life. My friend is now a six-year survivor.

Every year since 2000 when I walked, I have volunteered with the walk. Last year's volunteering was poignant as my mother was just finishing up her treatment for breast cancer. I'm pleased to say that she is doing very well. Friday was my sixth year for volunteering. For the past few years I have volunteered in the walker check-in area. The walkers and crew members come through and we check them in on computers, verify their medical info is on file, update any additional fund-raising, and pass out registration packets, etc. I have worked this area enough that repeat walkers even recognize me as they check in.

This Friday was a little different. Two people stuck with me this year like no others. First, I checked in a woman who was participating as a crew member. (The crew supports the walkers along the way in multiple ways including, rest stops, traffic control, meals, you name it, the crew does it in an amazing way.) She sat down in front of my computer and was bubbling with excitement. As I began to check her in she told me that today was her 20-year anniversary for beating her breast cancer. I congratulated her and she started passing out stickers that said "Special Person". As a crew member there is not a fund-raising requirement, it is optional. As I continued to check her in I came to the fund-raising screen and thought there was an error in the screen. There was not a typo. This dear woman who had beat cancer 20 years ago had raised over $24,000 for the cause. Amazing! We all got up and applauded her accomplishment.

The second person that stuck with me was a young woman who was a first time walker. She seemed a bit stressed when she sat down. She asked about stickers that were available to write a name on and wear in honor or memory of someone. I told her where to find what she was looking for and asked who she was walking for and she said her mom and began to cry. I asked how her mom was doing and she replied that her mom had died in February. I almost lost it right there. I stood up and reached over the table to hug her. I told her as I hugged her that her mom was proud of her for doing the walk. I felt pretty bad that she cried, but knowing the walk and the experience, I'm sure then wasn't going to be the only time.

That's what this walk is about. The amazing stories that go along with it. It is hard not to cry when you hear the stories and meet all the amazing people. Walkers, survivors, supporters, mothers, fathers, daughters, and sons. All walking because so many people are affected by breast cancer.

8 Comments:

  • Wow. I just got teary reading this. On my long walk down 14th street, I encountered people on the walk as I crossed 16th and P. I was so nice to see them walk.

    By Blogger m.a., at May 01, 2006 12:04 PM  

  • Whoops. It was nice...

    By Blogger m.a., at May 01, 2006 12:04 PM  

  • Wow what a wonderful cause, and what a wonderful thing you do by volunteering.

    I have sent you several emails that get bounced back to me saying that your spam filter thinks I'm spam. Any ideas?

    By Blogger Jaded, at May 01, 2006 1:07 PM  

  • Congratulations. I have a coworker who is very big into the event and she and several co-workers walk in the event every year. This year we saw a few stragglers on Sunday morning -- my son wondered why they were all wearing pink.

    By Blogger cs, at May 02, 2006 2:56 PM  

  • The original Pauline Trent ~ the grandmother from whom I have taken my pen name ~ died of breast cancer before I was ever even born. Thank you for this. *sniff*

    *hugs*

    By Blogger BostonPobble, at May 03, 2006 12:06 PM  

  • wow. what a powerful story...you just made me cry in my coffee.

    By Blogger playfulinnc, at May 07, 2006 9:37 AM  

  • This post made me tear up. Thank you for volunteering for such a good cause.

    By Blogger Stef, at May 07, 2006 7:23 PM  

  • Yikes! I didn't mean to make you cry!

    M.A.-I'm glad you had the encounter. They are amazing folks.

    Jaded-Thanks. I sent you e-mail with an alternate address to use.

    Cuff-I only walked once. There are many people big into it that have done the walk every year.

    Pobble-Hugs to you.

    Playful-I owe you a cup of coffee the next time you are in DC.

    Stef-Volunteering is the least I can do. I'd like to walk again. With little ones at home now, I don't have the time to train. I'll do it again someday.

    By Blogger Blue Dog Art, at May 08, 2006 9:54 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home