Blue Dog Art & Design

Thursday, June 22, 2006

A Quick Update

I feel that I have left you hanging from Monday's post, so here is an update. My coworker was admitted to the hospital for tests and a biopsy. The biopsy was Tuesday. I went to see him in the hospital Tuesday night and he was feeling better, was upbeat and in a good mood. The results of the biopsy came back yesterday afternoon. I wanted to wait to post until I knew more, but all I know is that he's been diagnosed with cancer* and is to start chemo treatments next week. The news came from our executive director. I don't know exactly what kind of cancer he has, just that they biopsied enlarged lymph nodes in his neck. He was released from the hospital yesterday and is back at home. I know I need to call him. My plan is to wait until tonight or maybe tomorrow to call. The news probably needs to sink in with him a little. I'm a little scared to talk to him. What do you say to someone who has just been diagnosed with cancer? I'm sure the words will come to me, but the thought of it all is daunting nonetheless.

*The diagnosis was not entirely unexpected. He has smoked for 40 years. I decided to spare you my soapbox about smoking. I will say to you my dear readers, that if you smoke, my wish is that you consider quitting. I know it is a lot to ask and not easy to accomplish, but it is an important wish. Not coming from me necessarily, but I speak for those around you that love and care about you. Do it for them.

4 Comments:

  • I think that the fact that you are willing to contact him and be there for him says so much about you, BDA. The words will come.

    By Blogger m.a., at June 22, 2006 12:47 PM  

  • What momentary academic said. When my ex-husband was diagnosed with his cancer, just having people call and check in was a blessing. You'll know what to say when the time comes.

    By Blogger BostonPobble, at June 22, 2006 11:30 PM  

  • When my mother was diagnosed with lung cancer last year, at first she didn't want to speak to anyone. Then, she just wanted people to treat her as they always did and not dwell on the cancer. She spent enough time doing that on her own. She wanted to take her mind off of it, even for a moment, but talking with her friends and family as she always had. She's been cancer-free for a year now, but, it was lung cancer from years and years of smoking. Lung cancer kills more women each year than breast cancer and ovarian cancer combined.

    Just call him up, see how he's doing, and let him guide the way as to what he'd like to talk about. The fact that you care enough to call will mean the world to him.

    My prayers are with your friend.

    By Blogger Jaded, at June 23, 2006 9:46 AM  

  • To all: Thanks very much for your kind thoughts. I called him this morning and left a voicemail. I haven't heard back from him, but I'm not too worried about it.

    By Blogger Blue Dog Art, at June 23, 2006 4:22 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home