Blue Dog Art & Design

Friday, June 23, 2006

More Than You Probably Need to Know About Me:

For lack of something better to post, I give you my Top 25 List from my iPod (June 22, 2006).

“Crush” Jennifer Paige*
“Miss Independent” Kelly Clarkson*
“Can’t Get You Out of My Head” Kylie Minogue*
“Bittersweet Symphony” The Verve*
“Another White Dash” Butterfly Boucher*
“Transatlanticism” Death Cab for Cutie #
“Constant Craving” k.d. Lang*
“You Get What You Give” New Radicals*
“Maybe Tomorrow” Sterophonics*
“(Don’t Fear) The Reaper” The Caesars
“Politik” Coldplay
“How To Save A Life” The Fray
“This the Last Time” Keane
“Cold Wind” The Arcade Fire #
“Barely Breathing” Duncan Sheik
“Time is On My Side” Irma Thomas#
“Girl Next Door” Saving Jane*
“Aganju” Bebel Gilberto #
“Only Love” The Bodeans
“Yeats Grave” The Cranberries
“She Is” The Fray
“Over My Head (Cable Car)” The Fray
“Somewhere Only We Know” Keane
“Your Misfortune” Mike Doughty
“A Good Thing” Saint Etienne

* Single downloaded from iTunes. For some reason, several songs that I downloaded seem to have stuck in this list

# From the “Six Feet Under, Vol. 2” Soundtrack. A fantastic compilation.

I’m sure I’ve lost any shred of respect I may have had with Maki for some of the selections. Obviously my music taste is all over the place.

Some thoughts on the list:

1. “Politik” is my absolute favorite Coldplay song. I first heard it performed on the Grammy’s (I think). I was blown away by the passion displayed by Chris Martin as he wailed on the piano. I find myself drawn to artists that you can “see” the music exuding from them.

2. “Only Love” speaks to my single days and my dating woes. I wouldn’t want to go back there for all the money in the world, but that song was my theme song for so long I can’t abandon it. It was my “That’s fine ‘cause I didn’t want to date you anymore anyway” song.

3. “Girl Next Door” I liked before it really went mainstream thanks to obscure XM radio channels.

4. “Aganju” tops the alphabet of my library and always seems to get played.

5. I bought the CD for The Fray and love every song. Not surprising that there are three songs on this list.

6. Noticeably absent on this list is any U2.

7. “Your Misfortune” is from the solo album of Mike Doughty. Mike Doughty is/was the lead singer for Soul Coughing, which gave us another of my favorite songs “Super Bon Bon”. “Super Bon Bon” was featured in one of the greatest under-watched TV shows ever: “Homicide: Life on the Street”. The song was played during a powerful scene as notorious drug dealer Luther Mahoney was murdered by a homicide detective. The series was filmed in Baltimore where my brother and many of our friends live. One of our friends was even an occasional extra in the show, usually playing a uniformed officer in the background at a crime scene.

8. A few selections by Keane show up on the list. I thought their first release was great. I saw them live with The Killers last summer and they rocked. Keane released a new album on Tuesday, which I really need to buy. Maybe I will do so on my way home tonight.

9. The Saint Etienne song is from their latest release entitled “Tales from the Turnpike House”. I first heard the group on XM Café. You should definitely check out the band.

10. Not on the list, but totally stuck in my head today is Blue October’s “Hate Me”, which I think I will need to acquire as well.

It has been another shitty day in a particularly shitty week. I’m going to bail out of work early and try to enjoy the weekend and re-adjust my current shitty attitude. Nothing a little alcohol can’t help. Have a good weekend!

2 Comments:

  • Would it help to tell you I have 10 of the songs on that list? Don't worry. No respect lost, even if you do have Death Cab for Cutie on there, who I (and a few thousand other people) enjoyed booing off stage when they opened for Pearl Jam a few years ago. That was good times.

    My vote for best Coldplay song goes to "God Put A Smile Upon Your Face." Whenever I compile a list of the best 10 to 25 songs released this decade, that song is one of the few guaranteed to make the list without question.

    By Blogger Maki, at June 26, 2006 5:51 PM  

  • Maki: I only have the one Death Cab song because it came on the "Six Feet Under" soundtrack. I will admit to liking some of their other stuff though. "God Put A Smile Upon Your Face" is probably my second favorite Coldplay song. I saw Coldplay in March and it was a fantastic show.

    By Blogger Blue Dog Art, at July 03, 2006 2:17 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home