Blue Dog Art & Design

Monday, July 03, 2006

“Working” on July 3rd*

Why the hell did I not take today off work? The answer to the question is this. I have a pile of work to do. The reality is that I have my work done and it is sitting on everyone elses’ desks waiting for them to approve or provide changes, etc. I’m caught up and waiting for everyone to get stuff back to me. It will all come back to me at the same time and I'll be slammed again. Such is the life.

We’ve had an interesting go of it with weather lately. Last Sunday, the lovely tiny stream that runs through the back of our property suddenly became a raging river and came within 15 feet of flooding the house. We received over 6 inches of rain in 2-1/2 hours in our rain gauge. We were lucky, however, as several neighbors were flooded. We endured two more consecutive days of rain and every time I heard the rain beating on the roof it made me nervous. Fortunately, we stayed dry. Many people in the area lost their homes and many others were evacuated as concerns of rising rivers and failing damns loomed with every passing shower last week.

We got hit with nasty storms again last night. The stream came up to the top of the banks again, but not into the yard this time. The ground is totally saturated and with the wind in the storms last night we were lucky that trees did not fall. Others were not so lucky in that respect. There were at least 4 trees down at the school my kids attend and debris was everywhere. Much of Alexandria is also without power. Somehow my office has power and so does my house, so I’m not going to complain.

The elder half of the brain trust had her last day on Friday. We had a lovely retirement lunch for her and sent her off with her husband. At least I got an excellent meal out of the deal. The other half of the trust took today off and it has been pleasantly quiet.

As for my other coworker, we have not received an update lately. He was having several tests last week to find the extent of the cancer and to determine the stage. We have not heard from him since they were to meet with the doctor to get the test results. I spoke with our director this morning and he said that since he hasn’t heard anything at all, and he’s beginning to dread calling.

It has been a really strange year in so many different aspects between things happening to people here at work and then bad things happening to friends as well. Hopefully the second half of 2006 will be better than the first.

I have had lots of things to blog about, but no time to post. For now, I guess this is all I have. In the meantime, take care of you and yours and have a great Fourth of July!

*For some freakin' reason, I can't get photos to post. Had I been able to post the photo it would have been a lovely fireworks display. You'll have to use your imagination.

3 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home